Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Royal Engagement

   On April 29th, a grand event occurred, Prince William married Kate Middleton.  I do not want to beat a dead horse, since I know that many people are tired of hearing about the ROYAL WEDDING, but how could I not comment on the fashion at such a worldwide event?
    First, I must say that Kate Middleton looked amazing.  Getting married to a Prince with practically the whole world watching is no easy task.  What I love about her dress is that she met the customs of tradition, but also made the dress into something that was modern.  I know that she had to wear sleeves, and it is customary for all guests to have something covering their shoulders.  Middleton covered her arms as tradition would call for, but tradition spoke nothing of the neck line of the dress.  The neckline was plunging and deep, to say the least, but it was classy in a way that only a future Queen could pull off. Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen designed both the wedding and maid of honors dress.  
I can not help, but point out that I think that Burton and Middleton were inspired by Grace Kelly who wore a similar wedding dress when she became Princess of Monaco.

    The maid of honor was Philippa "Pippa" Middleton, the brides sister.  I must say that Pippa stole the show.  She looked amazing in her ivory gown, and if I dare say could have easily been mistaken as the bride.  For many, myself included, it was unique that the maid of honor wore white, when it is customary to wear a color.  I have heard rumors that this is a trend that some brides are starting, perhaps it is a trend starting in the U.K, and if it was not before it definitely is now.
    I rarely comment on mens fashion, as I do not take part in it, as I am a woman.  However, I do know what I like and do not like.  I did not like William's fire engine red military uniform. I thought that brother and best man's, Harry's, black military attire looked much better.  Obviously, I know that tradition and choices are strict and limited, so I will forgive William for his fashion mistake.

 Some guests that looked amazing were the Beckhams.  I think that Victoria Beckham was the epitome of how every guest should of looked.  She had a bold hat that was a must for the wedding, but selected an understated navy as the color of her dress and hat.  David Beckham also look fantastic, very cleaned up and HOT!! :D  However, there were other guests that did not looks so good.  Two of those guests were Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.  Both of these girls are young in age, but their choice of clothes makes them look much older.  Also, the fit is all wrong, along with the color.  I definitely question if these girls looked in a mirror before they left the house.

This is one of my favorite pictures, because it displays how beautiful both Kate and Philippa's dresses are.

6 comments:

  1. All I can say, is that Eugenie and Beatrice got the invite to the Silly Hats Party. They were awful. I wonder if they had something against Kate and wanted to take the spotlight away from her. Regardless, it backfired, and only made her look more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the wedding and I didn't see much of Victoria Beckham's dress. I saw your post and all I could think of was her dress is really simple and why is it not tight fitting on her (since all I've seen her in are tight fitting dresses). Then I remembered she’s pregnant. I really like the fact that the spotlight was on her hat not her dress.

    I don't see anything wrong with why people were not agreeing with Pippa's choice of dress as maid of honor. It's not your "typical" maid of honor dress. Why does it have to be a typical typical dress? It's really up to Pippa and Kate as to what the maid of honor dress should look like. Pippa has a slender body, why not flaunt it. The dress was still a modest dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that the wedding dress was beautiful. Considering that it was simple and elegant and not revealing. The fashion overall in this wedding were very nice. However, I think a lot of the hats were a little too much. It just seemed as if they were wearing statues of their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHH! I love you post! I WANT TO BR A PRINCESS TOO! :( Kate's dress what OUT OF THIS WORLD! It was absolutely beautiful! The royal wedding was definitely a low key fashion show! I have to agree that I loved the maid of honor's dress as well! It was elegant but simple. It was a perfect match to Kate's dress!
    I loved that you posted pictures of people who attended the royal wedding. The Beckams, of course, always look amazing. I think that they are one of the most stylish famous couple around. Victoria Beckam always dresses to impress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasnt able to catch the Royal Wedding via television or internet. You were right about one thing, her sister Pippa seems like she stole the show. from the pictures it seemed like she was wearing a simple yet classy wedding gown. Kate's wedding dress is more modern than the royal weddings past, maybe to follow this blog you could do royal wedding dresses through the years, or maybe just compare her wedding dress to the wedding dress of princess Diana, her husbands mother. that would be a very interesting comparison because i could remember princess Diana's dress so vividly because it was so unique and extravagant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments!! Glad you liked the post it was definitely one of my favorites!!
    Good idea Rebecca, while I was reading everyones comments I was thinking I should of included a picture of princess Diana's dress!! Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete