Friday, April 29, 2011

Compliment

           Yesterday after my last class I walked over to Stonestown Shopping Mall, because I was meeting my sister.   As I was walking I saw this girl wearing a really cute sparkle shirt.  I debated whether I was going to compliment her or not.  Finally I just decided to tell her that I thought her shirt was cute.  I opened my mouth and said "I really like your shirt," and she walked by talking to her friend as if nothing had happened.
             My first reaction was what a B*&%$!!!! I was being nice, and this girl just ignored me!  Then I really started thinking about this.  And I realized that we are so tied up in our lives that we do not take the time to notice the small things.  Obviously, this debate has been argued before, but I realized that this is true.  It really made me realize that I need to take time to enjoy things, rather than constantly thinking about my next move.

           How does this relate to fashion, well I think it applies to consumers that at some point we need to be satisfied with what we have.  We are always seeking out the next best thing, myself included.  Sometimes I wish I could just be happy with what I have.  So this summer I have made a promise to myself that I will not purchase any clothes.  I know it is going to be a lot harder than it seems, because I love to shop.  But I really want to dive into my closet, and wear all of the clothes I have! Plus I really need to save some money, so what better than to not shop!!?

8 comments:

  1. Your goal for this summer is a good one. I have noticed that since school has started I wear what is comfortable and not always the "it" thing. I too also have many clothes so many that in my bedroom I have to walk in closets. Shameful I know.... But the clothes I have have been purchased over years and many children. LOL! Love the post whit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I'm sure that situation is not uncommon. I believe all of us are a little guilty of being obsessed with materialism and exclusivity when it comes to fashion and clothes. Even though the girl was rude for ignoring your compliment, she was probably trying to avoid the usual follow up question: "Where did you get it from?"

    Us girls, and boys too, are very concerned with our style or clothes being copied or duplicated. Even if it's just a new jacket that released at every H&M for their new spring line --we'd hate to see someone walking around campus wearing the exact...same...jacket.

    Which leads to your analysis -- which I totally agree with -- we are all too tied up in the materialistic aspects of our lives and don't take the time to notice the small things. Instead of shopping, debating between two outfits, worrying about shoe scuffs, why not throw on some basketball shorts and a tank and sit out on the grass. And so what if someone is wearing the same sunglasses as you? The weather is too nice to care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great overall choice of genre, I love love fashion, and your blogs are slowly giving me back my "shopping mojo". Continue to post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, man what a b%^$#. Maybe she just didn't hear you because she was with her friends. But people do wear new things to get compliments, so she just felt that it was natural to get it. I need to stop shopping as well. My goal will be a little different from yours, instead I'll see what I can donate and then clear room for when summer is over to really shop hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Shopping is impossible for me NOT to do. I am such a shoe wh0rr, I have like 12 pairs. I always buy 2 to 3 pairs each year, that's a lot compared to everyone I know. I need to stop with buying a lot of shoes, but I don't think I can. I also have a lot of clothes but only wear a few of them, my favorites. I think I need to do what you are, wear clothes that I normally don't!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments! They are super fun to read, I really enjoy your feedback and hearing about your personal experiences!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not shopping is almost impossible for me ! Even though I am super broke and it would definitely help me if I stopped shopping. A whole summer is like a few months without shopping, how are you going to survive, hahas. I'm always down to buy new cute dresses and shoes, I <3 shoes ! But hopefully your plan works out so you can have lots of dollars saved up so you can spend it elsewhere like for vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I DONT know how you are going to do it but I do admire you for setting that goal. I admit that I love to shop as well and if I find something I like, or think is cute, I HAVE to have it. Something that I do when I don't want to shop is to wait a while before I actually buy that item. I set a goal for maybe about two weeks. If I can survive after two weeks without having that specific item, then I can survive without it. If I just can't go on any longer, then I HAVE to have it. But going a whole summer without shopping will be awesome! Hopefully all goes well :)

    ReplyDelete