Friday, April 1, 2011

Fashion Eyes

          A few days or maybe it was weeks, I can not recall, my professor brought up an interesting question, How do people who enjoy, and focus on fashion see the world through their eyes?  This got me thinking, because I enjoy fashion, but I thought that everyone enjoyed fashion just as much as I do. However, I am slowly realizing that this is not true.
        

     There is a show on TLC called What Not To Wear, and usually the person on the television program receives a makeover along with a new wardrobe.  Before the contestant receives a full makeover they have to try to shop for themselves, and most of the time the people do not enjoy the shopping process. Obviously, not everyone enjoys shopping, although some may argue otherwise if they saw the mall on a Saturday, but it is hard for me to wrap my mind around someone not enjoying shopping or fashion, those two things are heaven to me!
          

             As to the question, How do I see fashion through my eyes, well I can not say for sure that I see it differently than anyone else, since I only know how I see it.  I have likes and dislikes just like the next person, and I think something that is important to remember, in fashion, is that anything can become fashionable no matter how ridiculous it make look or seem.  The question is whether you follow the trend or not?
           For example, in the 1980's leotards were very popular for exercise.  It is my opinion that this is one of the worst trends!  No one, let me repeat that NO ONE looks good in a leotard, not even gymnasts!!  But I know that if I was 22, my age now, in the '80's I probably would be sporting a leotard just because I thought it was cool.

            I guess my point of this article is that fashion is subjective, there are followers and leaders, just like politics, and if you have enough followers you can start your own trend that may make history for better or worse

3 comments:

  1. I agree trends are crazy. They come and go depending on what people you see around you wear. It might not seem cool at first , but when enough people wear it, it becomes cool and if you don't have it your not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find myself baffled by new trends, and even fighting against them. At a certain point, however, it seems like I just get used to them and give in...but by that time, the rest of the world has already moved on to the 'next best thing', and I STILL end up behind. (At least I can take advantage of sales that way). To me it seems like this is a big part of what can make shopping so unenjoyable for some people. If you're sifting through funky fabrics and garments that don't have an obvious top or bottom, it can get somewhat frustrating. When I was younger I thought I hated shopping, but that was largely because I didn't know what fit right and couldn't find anything that fit right (I was a lot bigger). I didn't know what my style was and I had no clue where to start. (I probably would've been a prime candidate 'What Not to Wear"...who knows, I STILL might be!) I think it just takes a little guidance, which is why I love that show. Unfortunately, there's not much in the way of guidance in the real world, unless you happen to have a stylish, fashionista friend in need of a project and willing to make you over in all the latest fads. Once you get the hang of it, and at least some sort of rough outline of personal style, I think it becomes a lot easier. Even fun! Everyone feels good when they look good, and you're right that what we strive for makes that hard to achieve sometimes. But I try to use that unattainability as a sort of motivation. Honestly, when I think I can pull off a quasi-trendy new outfit, it drives me to work on myself. The more I try to keep up, the more on top of it I am and the better I feel about myself. I guess that's a little vain, but it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true Stephen!! We are all at the will of the trend setters!!
    Alyssa: fashion, style, clothes it is always changing and so are we, so I guess it can be related to a hunt, some get the big game and some get the left overs!! All that matters is that you are comfortable! I always tell people never get rid of clothes, because trends come and go constantly! Just because a person has it in their closet doesn't mean they are required to wear it! But if you hold on to it, it will most likely come back, and if it doesn't well now you have a Halloween outfit :) hope that makes sense!! Lol

    ReplyDelete