Saturday, April 23, 2011

Psychology of Fashion

          I just read an article The Psychology of Fashion. I am unsure how I feel about what I read. The author, Marina V, says "there are those who commit to fashion as one of their top priorities in life.  I'm not talking about fashion designers, buyers, or anyone who works in the industry.  I'm talking about people who list fashion among their top interests or hobbies.  Yeah, that's right, people consider fashion, or rather, shopping for fashionable clothes, a hobby. I don't think there's anything wrong with indulging in a little self-confidence by treating yourself to that perfectly fitted top or those gorgeous stilettos, but why, may I ask, do these trendy garments give us this "high" in the first place?"
           Marina continues on with the issues of women using fashion to look good to find a mate, and why can't we stick with one trend, buying to fit in, and style.  First, I find nothing wrong with wanting to look good for the opposite sex.  Marina says that women are the ones responsible for attracting the males, and I see nothing wrong with that.  When it comes to most birds, such as ducks and peacocks, the males are the most beautiful, because it is their job to attract the females.  So what is wrong with women having to do it, if the males do too.  Also, most men work at their appearance whether it is with the clothes they wear, hair products, or just going to the gym.
        Next, Marina makes the point of sticking with one trend. I want to know why anyone would want this?  I understand finding an item or look that makes a person feel and look good, but sometimes change is a good thing!  If I stuck to one trend I would still be wearing colored bike shorts to school!! Umm... no thank you!  The world is not built to stick to one thing.  If we stuck to one thing we may never find cures for disease or ways to improve health.  Sometimes moving on to a new trend can be a good thing.
       Buying to fit in, I know we have all done it!  In fifth grade I had to have the adidas with the three stripes on them, and in high school I had to have Uggs.  Marina says that people want to follow trends, because they know if they have the same thing as everyone else, then it is easier to fit in.  I do not disagree with this, but because my friends did not wear Uggs did not mean that we were not going to be friends.  I like to think that I am a better person than to select my friends based on what they wear and own.
       Lastly, Marina brings up style.  She says "where fashion unites us, style sets us apart.  Style is what we choose to wear from all the clothes that are available to us.  It is the image we create for ourselves.  This is the word we must use when it come to "asserting our individuality" with clothes.  Some choose a style and stick with it all their lives.  Who hasn't heard of that mom who can't get out of the '70's?  Then, more commonly, there are those with a self-proclaimed style but who lunge at the newest trend.  These people obviously want to be accepted in society, but they also walk the fine line of not wanting to be just another one of a million.  They strive to reinvent themselves just as fashion does.  They want to be in the loop while keeping a firm grip on their own style.  This combined sense of unity, individuality and being the most newly informed gives them a small sense of power or confidence." First, I think the way she has worded this section of the article and explained it is really well done.  I definitely agree with what she is saying about style.  And I find that I am more like the last person she describes in the section, I follow trends, but also love being independent in my style.
         Overall, I would say that Marina's article is interesting and thought provoking.  I do find that it jumps all over the place.  She insults people who say shopping is a hobby, then in the next sentence questions the shoppers high, and in the next paragraph discusses females and shopping.  She needs to focus on one thing, and use better transitions.  I would recommend reading it and making your own judgements though.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment