Sunday, April 24, 2011

Copycat

          Some say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  I find this to be true, but why is it so difficult to not become upset when another person is wearing the same thing as you are?  I am sure at some point you have become annoyed at someone wearing or taking an outfit that was yours, I know that I have.  But why is this? Why are girls so competitive?
           It is my belief and with some research I have found that we have been reared to hate those that copy us rather than to thank them.  Whoever said two people can not share ruined it for all women.  They turned us against each other.  A very popular program, the E! network, has a show called the Fashion Police, and within this show they have a segment dedicated to women wearing similar looks.  The segment is titled Bitch Stole My Look, if this does not set a standard then let me give you another example.  Us Magazine dedicates pages of their magazine to a section called "Who Wore It Best."  In the pages of the magazine pictures are displayed of celebrities wearing the same outfit, and each picture has a percentage, the higher percentage dictates who wore it best.
          Women and girls are raised in an environment that sets us up for competition rather than camaraderie.  From a young age we are told to abandon the friendships that we have built for boys and men. Girls are taught that their relationship with men (heterosexually speaking) are more important than the friendships they have with girls.  I know it seems crazy that psychology in this way relates to fashion, but all because of how we are raised, and told what to do at a young age depicts how we will treat the girl wearing the same outfit as we are.
       Now I must add though, I do believe that copying is the sincerest form of flattery.  But copying someone too much can be a bad thing.  If you are constantly copying one person, then you can lose sight of the real you.  Originality is an amazing trait to have, and everyone has the power to be original, because no two people are exactly the same, even twins.    Remember copying can be a good thing, but originality is always better!

4 comments:

  1. Love the new post, I missed you too. Had to work. Will see you tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh!!! SO sorry you had to work!! But you gotta make that money!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im a person who doesnt follow fashion hard core, but i do enjoy seeing what is new out there. In two instances of me doing this, had realized that other people were wearing the same thing. The first, about a year ago. Skirts and tights were in, every girl was seen wearing them. SO, i decided i should where it to a party one night. I can not tell you how unoriginal i felt. So many girls were wearing the same thing!!

    The other was my 8th grade graduation. I was singing with some girls and one of the popular girls was wearing the same thing i was. A part of me was happy, because she was popular and not very nice to me, so i didnt really mind this fashion disaster. Im sure she did :)

    So, even though being up to date with what is hot can be fun, you have to make it your own, or you will be stuck at a party, trying to find your friends but cant tell them apart because they are all wearing the same Urban cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shay thanks for sharing those stories, I enjoyed and laughed while I read them! And very true about making an outfit your own, I definitely agree!

    ReplyDelete